On January 10, officials from the Saskatchewan Health Authority informed Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools (GSCS) of a positive COVID-19 case in an individual at École Holy Mary Catholic School in Martensville. According to a media release, they are working with Public Health to notify parents and caregivers. Risk of exposure for anyone not considered a close contact remains low.
The affected class will switch to online instruction starting January 11. To protect privacy of individuals, no further details will be discussed or shared.
“We hope all who are ill or affected by COVID-19 in any way are doing well. As a community of faith, we continue to support each other and pray for all members of our school communities who are ill,” the media release stated.
GSCS continued to state that it is important that we all continue to follow health measures to decrease both the spread of COVID-19 in our communities and the risk of it entering schools. Multiple layers of important safety precautions are in place, and students and families are reminded to:
- be diligent in performing the daily health screening;
- stay home if you are ill;
- call HealthLine 811 if you are exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms;
- practice proper hand hygiene;
- maintain physical distancing as much as possible;
- wear a mask when inside public places; and
- do all we can to keep each other safe.