1. We do our very best to protect your privacy by using security technology appropriately. This means:
we make sure that we have appropriate security measures to protect your information; and
we make sure that when we ask another organization to provide a service for us, they have appropriate security measures.
2. We will respect your privacy. You should receive marketing emails only from us and, if you agree, from other organizations we have carefully chosen. We will make sure it is clear when you can make these choices, for example, we have boxes you need to tick if you want to receive marketing. However, we may email you occasionally with information or questions about your registration, your subscription account or postings, for example, with reminders, warnings or copyright requests.
3. We will collect and use individual user details only if we have your permission or we have sensible business reasons for doing so, such as collecting enough information to manage subscriptions.
4. We will be clear in our dealings with you as to what information about you we will collect and how we will use it.
5. We will use personal information only for the purposes for which it was originally collected and we will make sure we delete it securely.
6. Our site is accessible via the internet. This means that people around the world who access our website can see anything you post on the website, for example, comments about an article.
How we use your information
What information do we collect?
We collect information on you:
- when you register or become a member of the Martensville Messenger
- when you use the website
- through cookies
- if you choose to reveal information in postings, and
- when you enter sales promotions and competitions.
Who we share data with
We will not share your personal information with others for marketing purposes unless you have given us your permission. If we have your permission, we will share your information only with other organizations we have chosen carefully.
We can access and release personal information to keep to relevant laws and government requests, to operate our systems properly and to protect both us and our users.
Any other organizations who access your information in the course of providing services on our behalf will be governed by strict contractual restrictions to make sure that they protect your information and keep to data-protection and privacy laws which apply. We may also independently audit these service providers to make sure that they meet our standards. We may use service providers to help us run these sites (or services available on the sites).
Some of our webpages use plug-ins from other organizations (such as the ‘Facebook Recommend’ function). These other organizations may use information about your visit to our websites on their pages. If you browse these pages while still also logged in to your account with us, information they collect may be connected to your account on their site. For more information on how these organizations use information, please read their privacy policies.
1. For statistical purposes to track how many users we have and how often they visit our websites. We collect information listing which of our pages are most frequently visited, and by which types of users and from which countries.
3. Placing cookies on your computer means we can show you adverts that you might be interested in, and allows us to control the number of times you see them and measure how effective the ad campaign has been. Advertising helps us to keep the site free for you to use.
You can turn cookies off but if you do this, you may not be able to use all services on our websites and you might see more pop-ups and other advertising. This is because we won’t be able to limit what you see by using cookies. However, you will still be able to see our editorial content.
We use Google Analytics on our site for anonymous reporting of site usage and for advertising on the site. If you would like to opt-out of Google Analytics monitoring your behaviour on our sites please use this link (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/)
About our advertising
As you browse our site, some of the cookies we place on your computer will be advertising cookies, so we can understand what sort of pages you are interested in We can then display advertising on your browser that is based on these perceived interests. For instance if you have been reading a lot of food and drink articles, you may be shown more adverts for food and drink.
It is important to remember that none of the techniques we use will collect information such as your name, email address, postal address or phone number.
We may also share anonymous behavioural data with advertising partners, including commercial organizations that fund content labelled ‘Supported by’, ‘Paid content/Paid for by’, ‘Sponsored Ad’ or ‘Advertiser content/from our advertisers’. This may mean that when you are on other websites, you will be shown advertising based on your behaviour on martensvillemessenger.ca. We may also show you advertising on our site based on your behaviour on other sites.
Behavioural retargeting is another form of marketing that allows us and some of our advertising partners to show you ads based on your browsing patterns and interactions with a site away from our sites. For example, if you have visited the website of an online clothes shop, you may start seeing ads from that same shopping site displaying special offers or showing you the products that you were browsing. This allows companies to advertise to you if you leave their website without making a purchase.
If you want to opt out of receiving online behavioural advertising, this does not mean that you will no longer receive advertising when you are using our sites. It just means that the advertising you see will not be customized for you.
Advertising on mobile devices may require the collection and sharing of the unique device ID with companies who purchase advertising space on the mobile application.
Our sites contain links to other websites from which we may earn revenue. Our articles are never influenced by advertisers or affiliates, nor are they written for the purpose of promoting a product, except when clearly branded as a ‘sponsored by’, ‘brought to you by’ or ‘supported by’ ‘Supported by’, ‘Paid content/paid for by’ or ‘Advertiser content’/’from our advertisers’ to represent sponsored content, advertisement features and foundation funded features respectively.